Increase Blog Traffic to Your Website with These Ten SEO Secrets
Blog traffic is a constant concern of any blogger. With ever-growing blog traffic, your ideas, products, and services will have an audience. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the foundation for how search engines find your blog and content. If you do it correctly, your blog will be on page one of many search engines.
The following are ten SEO secrets that will increase your blog traffic and viewership:
- Use SEO Themes – A big factor to your blog ranking high is how fast it loads. Your blog has a better chance of ranking high if your blog loads within 1.5 seconds or faster. Look for blog themes that are efficient in the following ways:
- Quick load times – You can check the load time of your blog with a tool like Pingdom. You can also decrease the size of your files and increase the speed of your blog with the following plugins: WP Smush.it, WP Optimize and WP Total Cache
- Efficient Coding – Make sure your theme is updated on a regular basis. The older the code on your theme, the more likely hackers will breach your site. Also, again you will experience slower load times and maybe even some design issues. Make sure your theme is coded with the HTML5 and CSS3 to be on the safe side.
- Use Title and Meta Tags – Make sure you use titles and Meta tags within your blog and the content you use. You need to make sure you are using these with every post to get the best results. Be consistent in your use of the same keyword in your tags that you use throughout your blog!
- Optimize Your Images – The one area you can quickly optimize your SEO is through your images. Many graphics programs like Adobe Photoshop give you the option of “saving for the web.” This allows you save your images in the most optimized format so they load quickly on your blog. PNG is the best format for use on your website.
- Choose Your Keywords – Before even setting up your blog, do your keyword research. You can go straight to the source and use the Google AdWords Keyword Planner and research the best keywords for your website. Choose the top five to ten keywords and consistently use them in your content. Make sure you include it in your title, Meta tags, and as an anchor text.
- Use SEO-Friendly Permalinks – When you create permalinks in WordPress, you will have a default link that comes up that looks something like: http://www.yourwebsite.com/?p=123. The default does not help you in any way with your SEO. Change the Permalinks to a format that is much more SEO friendly. You can use the “Post Name” or Custom option. With the custom option, apply the following command to create an SEO-friendly URL “/%postname%/.” With these commands, the URL will automatically be changed to an SEO format.
- Create Quality Content. When you are writing blogs on WordPress, you need to create valuable, engaging, and interesting blog posts that will increase your readership, develop leads, create backlinks, and, in some cases, increase your bottom line. Write for your reader’s eye so that they want to come back and share your content. Use a variety of content, such as text, pictures, quotes, videos, and podcasts.
- Add Links – Add links to your blog that give your readers additional resources on whatever subject area your blog is about. Adding links to other outside resources will help your website rank higher on the search engines. When you link to outside resources, always make sure it is a high-quality source. The best way to tell is to get Moz’s MozBar, which helps you learn the domain authority of a website. Go for an 80 or above domain authority score. Make sure you never go below a domain authority score of 50. Consider only linking to three pages within your website to get good coverage without being considered spam by the search engines.
- Use Updated Plugins for Your Site – There are a wide selection and free and paid plugins available for your blog. There are many great ones and then there are some that you can do without. You don’t want to install one that wouldn’t be beneficial for your blog’s SEO. Some plugins might slow down the loading speed of your blog. Also, some plugins may cause conflict with other plugins. Do a little research before installing any plugin. See when the last time the plugin was updated. Also see what users are saying about the plugin.
- Use Anchor Text the Right Way – What is anchor text? It is the chosen keyword or phrase that links to whatever it is you are talking about. For example, if you are a fitness company and you are talking about exercises, your key phrase might be “exercises to increase fitness.” This would be what you want to use as your anchor text and then link to the exercises you referenced.
- Write in the Language of Your Readers – If you are writing to reach engineers, write in the language of your readers. This will show you are an expert in the field and your readers will come back to your blog for more valuable information. However, if you are trying to reach runners, but you use the language of engineers, you will lose your reader. Be in tune with what your readers want to gain the most exposure for your blog.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is an important tool in gaining more blog traffic for your WordPress website. It is the foundation for your blog’s success. Apply the ten SEO secrets to your blog and you will be enjoying increased readership and blog traffic.