Are You Losing Customers with Your Email Address? Three Secrets to Creating Email Addresses That Attract Customers!
When I work with enthusiastic entrepreneurs in my programs, I ask them for their email address to send them additional information. I’d say about 95% of these entrepreneurs give me an email address that ends in @gmail.com or @yahoo.com. Some of them even have active websites and continue to use these addresses for contact with their customers or potential customers.
You could be losing customers by using gmail.com, yahoo.com, and similar types of emails. Here are the reasons why:
- By using these emails, it says to potential customers that they are dealing with someone who is temporary or doesn’t know what they are doing.
- New customers will not do business with a company that has a Gmail or Yahoo address. Many customers think they are dealing with scammers.
- These types of email are not branding your business. They are branding Google or Yahoo. I don’t think they need any additional help with their branding.
- Some government agencies will not do business with companies with these emails. These government agencies feel that the potential companies they are considering working with are not in it for the long-term and could also be untrustworthy.
- Gmail and Yahoo mail have aggressive spam filters. If you don’t know how to set these filters, you might risk the chance of never receiving customer requests that can lead to new business for your company
Going forward, you need to take action to give your customers and potential customers the most professional image of your company. The following are three steps you can take today to enhance your image and brand, make sure you get emails from potential customers, and increase your bottom line:
- Decide on Your Domain Name – The quicker you decide on your domain name, the quicker you can start creating your email addresses. Once you have your domain name, you can start creating emails with your company name, e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Invest in a Hosting Service – A hosting service is the space where you host your website files. It allows your visitors to find you and your information. With any good hosting service, you can work within your Control Panel, or cpanel, to create as many email addresses with your @yourcompany.com address. Two hosting services I recommend are hostgator.com and bluehost.com. They are user friendly, reliable, have an abundance of features, and you can easily create your emails in the cpanel.
- Maximize Your Email Experience – Now that you have your domain name and hosting service, maximize your email by setting up your administrative and marketing emails. The basic emails you should have setup are email@example.com for information requests, firstname.lastname@example.org for personal connections, email@example.com for any website related inquiries, and emails for other employees at your company. You should also have emails for your various marketing and sales email campaigns. For example, if you have an email campaign where you are selling shoes, you can have them respond using the email firstname.lastname@example.org. That way you know where your lead came from.
Bonus Tip: Watch your vanity email addresses. Some vanity do not translate well across the world and can be down right offensive. They may be cute, but are these worth you losing customers?
Now that you have this information, take the steps to brand your email. Once you do, you will experience more leads and sales for your company. I think you would like that, wouldn’t you?